Physical Education Curriculum
The goal of the Physical Education program at ABS is to create a fun learning environment in which students can learn, improve and acquire specific sport and life-lesson knowledge. The program relies on creative thinking and innovative programming to incorporate and promote health, wellness and physical activity into the daily lives of the students to create a lifelong love and appreciation of a healthy lifestyle. The Physical Education staff uses sports and activities as tools to teach life lessons. Our intent is to teach the boys to value physical activity for all of its redeeming qualities (health, enjoyment, team building, positive social interaction, etc.). Acquired skills will be taught in a developmentally appropriate way to maximize the learning abilities of the students.
- Importance of both health and wellness and the role of regular exercise
- Understanding that proper nutrition and cardiovascular fitness will improve one's abilities to sing and that without proper health, one's life goals cannot be met.
- Fair play, recognizing that character and values play an important role in becoming an honorable and respected teammate and citizen.
- Skills - master age-appropriate skills
- Knowledge of sports - understand rules and skills of various sports
- 10-15 minutes of fitness and/or motor movement activities.
- A primary lesson focus including a skill, game or movement concept-related activity based upon the units indicated on the following page.
- President's Physical Fitness Test as part of the President's Challenge
- Indoor games and fitness
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Flag football
- Capture the Flag